The Best Sensory Toys For Children With Autism
The CDC states that about 1 in 54 children are born with Autism in the United States of America, and it is prevalent in children from all racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups. Being a parent of a child with autism can come with extra stress and even an increase in mental and physical health problems when compared to parents of children with other developmental disorders.
Whatever the case may be, every parent wants to ensure that their child has the best experiences, opportunities, and optimum environment for learning, fun, and enrichment.
In this article, we will discuss some common sensory issues that children with autism may experience and then give a thorough list of the TOP sensory toys that parents can provide for their autistic children to ensure healthy and enriching sensory-motor development.
Sensory Issues in Children with ASD.
Children with ASD can experience sensory issues that involve the senses, such as sounds, sights, touch, balance, hearing, and body awareness. These are usually categorized in two separate factions which are listed below:
Hyper-sensitivities: An example of this may be a heightened sensitivity to bright lights or to certain sounds that make the child extremely uncomfortable.
Hypo-sensitivities: An example of this may be a low sensitivity to pain or balance-related bodily sensations. They may seek extra sensory input by crashing, jumping, touching or leaning on things.
There are many accommodations that parents can do to remedy sensory issues that can occur, and many of which we will discuss in further articles, but we are going to focus on toys that parents can get for their children that can help ease discomfort and also promote healthy learning in children with ASD.
How Do Sensory Toys Help Children with Autism?
There are numerous benefits to providing your child with ASD with sensory toys. The list below will cover many of these benefits and give you an idea of what to expect.
- Better Focus and Regulation: If a child with ASD is experiencing sensory overwhelm or discomfort, sensory toys can provide calm and relaxation in whatever event the child is experiencing. Children who are seeking extra sensory input need more input to stay alert and organized. A sensory toy can provide just the right amount of input to calm the nervous system and improve focus.
- Social Learning Skills: All children benefit greatly from social learning and playing. Since this can be a challenge for children with ASD, sensory toys can provide opportunities for children with ASD to share, plan, take turns, and negotiate with other children.
- Developing Motor Skills: Sensory toys can help children with ASD enhance gross and fine motor coordination while interacting with objects.
- Neurological Stimulation: Children with ASD will gain neurological pathways to improve their neural processing systems from playing with certain sensory toys. New neural pathways form anytime we engage in a new activity with new sensory input allowing our brain to further develop.
- Creativity: Sensory toys can spark creativity, imagination, and expression.
What Kinds of Sensory Toys Should You Get?
We’ve covered WHY sensory toys are important and necessary for healthy development in children with ASD. Now let’s talk about some specific toys that you can get for your child!
- Simpl Dimpl- Unique key chain featuring silicone fidget buttons. Encourages tactile stimulation, calmness, & concentration.
- Creeblers- Squishy, spiky crawlies that clump together and seem to wriggle on their own! Creeblers stick to flat surfaces so you can throw them at the wall and watch them crawl their way down!
- Mini Lollipopter- With a quick twist, Lollipopter magically transforms from a “swirl” to a “burst” and back again in one amazing motion. To transform it, simply spin the handle and watch the magic unfold. To change it back, just spin it the other way. Intuitive, relaxing, fun…and addictive!
- Spaghetti Ball- Stretch, pull, twirl, touch- perfect for sensory and tactile stimulation.
- Suddenly! Snow- Pour out a small amount of Suddenly Snow crystals, add water, and watch the snow grow and grow and GROW, creating mountains of cool, puffy play stuff. Pop some in the freezer and make snowballs. Tactile, sensory fun!
- Ooze Tube- Flip the tube to watch the jelly liquid ooze to the bottom. Relaxing fun!
There are a ton of options to choose from when selecting sensory toys for children with autism, and luckily, it has never been easier to get them!
The DeveloPLAY Box
The DeveloPLAY Box is an all in one subscription service that makes it amazingly simple for you to order the PERFECT toys for your child’s healthy development. Each month, you will receive a NEW box that has a wide selection of toys that are specifically designed to benefit your child with ASD, and your box is delivered straight to your doorstep!
No need to research what toys to buy and then venture out to the shopping mall or outlet store to pick them up.
No more worrying about which toys to get, how many to choose, and whether or not the toys you bought will be effective, fun, and engaging for your child with ASD.
DeveloPlay has done all of the work FOR YOU!
Here’s how easy it is….
Step 1- SIGN UP! Joining is easy and takes LESS than a minute.
Step 2- Your Box is Shipped! Boxes curated with hand-picked items by a licensed occupational therapist and shipped to your doorstep.
Step 3- Witness the difference in your child! Watch your child enjoy your new sensory and motor tools and toys! See them build skills and regulate their mind through play!
Our toy selections are backed by science and recommended for your child with ASD.
We understand that you may not care how much we know until you know how much we care, so we encourage you to try out our subscription!
If you and your child do not LOVE your hand-selected DeveloPLAY Box, let us know and you will receive a full refund.
Sign up for our newsletter below for more great info and tips that you can implement to help your child develop strong sensory-motor skills.